Electronics - PCB Inspection with Dino-Lite Digital Microscopes
Dino-Lite Digital Microscopes are very popular in the electronics industry meeting the demands for PCB inspection. This blog and video highlights the areas where Dino-Lite’s extensive range of microscopes are put to use by electronics manufacturers.
Both bare board manufacturers and assemblers are faced with increasing need for PCB inspection as components are becoming smaller and spacing tighter. Common applications for Dino-Lite Digital Microscopes include quality control, BGA, PCB or component inspection, failure analysis and measurement of micro-sections.
We offer expert technical advice on selecting and using Dino-Lite microscopes. With over 100 models and many accessories to choose from we hope this blog and video will demonstrate what can be achieved with this superb range of digital microscopes from the original inventor and patent holder of hand-held digital microscopes.
View the range:
Highlights from the video on PCB Inspection:
Here we explain some of the great features highlighted in the video that are popular in electronics inspection:
Connection type: USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA, HDMI. If you only need to inspect then a model with VGA or HDMI connection direct to a monitor (no PC required) work best as the faster frame rate and full screen image are much preferred by operators. For image capture, measurement and reporting go for a model with USB connection and included DinoCapture software. The latest USB 3.0 models offer faster frame rates than USB 2.0.
Standard or Long working distance: standard is good for most PCB inspection tasks with up to 200x magnification. Long working distance models (up to 140x) are ideal for working under the microscope in repair and rework applications or where a wider field of view is more important than high magnification. Some applications require very high magnification (up to 900x) such as measuring micro-sections and Dino-Lite make a special range for this.
Construction: composite or metal body. A metal body offers ESD safe application and the best look and feel.
Software: DinoCapture software with advanced measurement capability in live or still images, capture video and images and annotation.
- FLC – Flexible LED lighting provides both dimming function and four quadrant switching
- Polariser – reduces reflection from shiny surfaces common in PCB inspection
- UV Light – special lighting models with UV LEDs for checking coverage of conformal coating
- Accessories include: a Ring light (N3C-R) for diffusing the light generated by the built in LEDs. Coaxial Light cap (N3C-R) eliminates disturbing shadows making it easier to look inside small holes and scratches in the material you wish to check.
Special Features – look out for models with these unique features:
- AMR – Automatic Magnification Reading for quick and easy measurements
- EDOF – Extended Depth of Focus automatically stacks images at different levels of focus to improve the dept of field on uneven surfaces.
- EDR – Extended Dynamic Range automatically stacks images at different exposure levels to reveal details of brighter and darker areas.
Stands: we recommend choosing a reliable and robust stand such as the RK-10A for working with a precision Dino-Lite.